Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rev 444 and the beginnings of Beta 3

Rev 444 was just regression fixes and a bit of code clean-up from some of my prior commits. Now, I'm on to the major recode for Beta 3. I've changed the way I'm going about it from my prior post here. I've decided instead of working in reverse removing parts of DX64 and working backwards, I will start from scratch, import code as needed, and work forward. This way I can ensure all the code gets looked at and I would've basically been doing this after I finished with the code disassembly.

I've talked with Strmnnrmn about how I plan to do the ME move to get a normally serialized process working asynchronously. Right now in DX64 it goes:
1.Dynarec
2.CPU Execution
3.Graphics
4.Audio (Although in Async this is basically bypassed on the SC.)


Which is basically serialized access to the individual components. To make this a truly multi-processing app. When the move is done it will go:
First Two Frames:
SC                      | ME
1. Dynarec (Frame 1)    |
3. Dynarec (Frame 2)    |
2. CPU Execution (Frame 1)
4.2 Graphics (Frame 1)  | 4.1 CPU Execution (Frame 2)
4.3 Audio (Frame 1)     |

Subsequently: (Frame X = Current Frame, X-1 = Last frame)
SC                      | ME
1. Dynarec (Frame X)    | 0. (Finishing execution of X-1)
2.2 Graphics (Frame X-1)| 2.1 CPU Execution (Frame X)
2.3 Audio (Frame X-1)   |


This will mean at any given time DX64 will be working on two frames at once. I want the Dynarec, CPU Execution and Audio to all individually be able to be moved between the SC and the ME through build flags as needed for debugging purposes. Graphics will always be on the SC as the ME has no GE access. (The only exception there might be some math heavy tasks like clipping, but without a VFPU I think this should stay where it's at.)

What all this means is I will basically be recoding everything from scratch and looking at all of the code for optimization and memory usage as I go. This includes uCodes, graphics, audio, the combiner, RSP emulation, etc... I literally mean every line of code. I got the go ahead from Strmnnrmn to do this, but I'm not going to be committing the changes as I go as not to break the SVN. I will also be looking at the new GUI and preparing for it as well as all the other plans I had listed for Beta 3. Next time I post, I will update my progress on all of this and list any issues I'm running in to.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a massive undertaking. Good luck with it and keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to update my progress on this undertaking here about every week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I wish you luck as this looks like quite a massive thing to do.

    ReplyDelete